POPL 2015: 42nd ACM SIGPLAN-SIGACT Symposium on Principles of Programming Languages
International Scholarships and Funding
There are many opportunities for students and young researchers to get involved with the conference. This page list a few of them, we encourage you to explore the web sites of the different co-located events and conferences to find out more.
Getting to Mumbai
For foreign students, be sure to check that you have a valid passport and apply for an Indian visa. There is a small fee but it is reasonably fast and painless (visa page).
The POPL Student Group lets you discuss travel plans and related arrangements.
Staying in Mumbai
POPL has arrangements with various hotels. These hotels will benefit from a shuttle service to and from the Conference site. Prices start at INR 4,000 inc. taxes for a single room or INR 5,100 for a twin room.
You may use the travel page to look other students interested in shared accommodations (POPL Student Group).
All the relevant information is on the registration page. Do this early to get reduced rates. To apply for a conference Visa, you will need to pre-register. Pre-registration does not require payment. Should you have paid for your registration and your travel visa has been refused, you will be reimbursed in full.
The Student Research Competition (Deadline 22nd September 2014) is an opportunity to attend POPL and its related events whilst presenting research ideas.
PLMW (Deadline for funding application 19th September 2014)
The goal of PLMW is to introduce newcomers (mainly young PhD students, along with some MSc and undergraduate students) to the field of programming language theory and formal verification, with a particular emphasis on women and under-represented minorities.
There are many ways to reduce the cost of attending the conferences.
- The Student Research Competition (SRC) is supported through a generous grant from Microsoft Research.
- US students, post-docs, and any US resident from under-represented groups are eligible for support from the National Science Foundation (NSF Grant). Apply through the PAC portal
- ACM-W Scholarships for Attendance at Research Conferences.
For women undergraduate and graduate students in Computer Science and related programs. The student does not have to present a paper at the conference she attends. (Deadline for application 15th October). Click here for more information and instructions to apply.
- The ACM PAC awards support for student presenting papers.
- Are you a Speaker, applying to either of the SRC, or the NSF funding?
- Will you be able to attend the conference if we can't fund you?
- Are you studying at a US University?
IMPORTANT: The PAC web site is operated by SIGPLAN, but you do not have to be a SIGPLAN member to ask for funding, or be asking to attend POPL. Any student is welcome, we will try our best to find sponsors.
Students who are supported will be asked to (write a two-part conference report that will appear as two blog entries, one before the conference and the other after the conference. The length and level of details is up to you).
POPL 2015 Scholarship for Local Students and Faculties
POPL has received generous donations from Local Business. POPL is therefore pleased to announce they have set up a scholarship to support Indian Students (any student currently studying in an academic institution in India) and Indian Faculty (currently working in academic institutions in India). Priority will be given in order to :
- Students from Indian academic institution who have paper accepted in any of the POPL events.
- Faculty from Indian academic institution who have paper accepted in any of the POPL events.
- Students and Faculty from Indian academic institutions who wish to attend the Conference.